Review: Delirium, by Lauren Oliver

 Hardcover , Special Edition , 441 pages Published August 2nd 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers...

 Hardcover, Special Edition, 441 pages
Published August 2nd 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers

Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe.

I wonder whether the procedure will hurt.

I want to get it over with.

It’s hard to be patient.

It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet.

Still, I worry.

They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness.

The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.


  Ever since I received the book, I was basically going everywhere with it, including my classes. I was reading it everywhere. I was so drawn to the story, to the characters that I just couldn't part with it.

  Delirium is a dystopian book. The world is much different than we know it. You have a curfew, you're not allowed to like things that might awaken certain feelings in you - for example, you can't really like the sunrise color -, but worst of all, you're not allowed to love. Love is literally a disease. It's thought to distort your vision of reality, it gives you symptoms and eventually, you die if you're not 'cured'.

  Though most people can't wait to be cured, there are those who resist the procedure. Lena is the kind of character that grows while the story advances, she doesn't have just one belief and sticks to it. Even though in the beginning she's adamant that she wants to be cured, things soon change. I admire her, a lot, since she was able to accept everything new she found out... Think that you thought your entire life that... I don't know, God doesn't exist and then suddenly he appears in front of you. Your entire life changes and you question every belief you have. Well, Lena goes through something like that. She was being taught something ever since she was a child and now she finds out everything is a lie. Lena finds out she's braver than she thought she was and much more special. She finds out she's beautiful, in every way.

    You have no idea how much I love her relationship with Alex. He's the kind of character you immediately like and there's no going back. He's beautiful, rebellious, mysterious... should I continue?

    The book has action, romance, big reveals, interesting characters, beautiful writing with breathtaking descriptions. I can only give Delirium 5 out of 5 stars!

Favorite quotes


“I love you. Remember. They cannot take it” 

“I'd rather die my way than live yours.”

“Love: It will kill you and save you, both”  

“He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly.”



You Might Also Like

0 comments