That tv show line that stuck with you

     I am one of those people who will think of a phrase I heard/read in passing all. day. long. This week I wanna write about somethin...


     I am one of those people who will think of a phrase I heard/read in passing all. day. long.

This week I wanna write about something I saw on Black Mirror, a tv show that I'm not even sure how to explain in words. Haunting is probably the best way to describe it.

There's an episode about cloning (in a way) and a woman, unable to deal with the grief of losing her partner, makes a replica of him. How does this work? Basically, a software takes in all of what the dude uploaded on the internet, every video, every picture, everything he said, in order to have his personality. But we all know on the internet, most of the time we're not exactly how we are in real life, how we are with our close ones. After she realizes it's not exactly what she thought it would be, she says:

"You're just a few ripples of you. There's no history to you. You're just a performance of stuff that he performed without thinking and it's not enough."


deep stuff is deep

These lines were not only delivered perfectly by Hayley Atwell, they speak volumes of how we pretend online, of the image we carefully build here. We upload the photos we look good in, we write and delete and write again until we've got it right, because at least here we can mold us into the image we want.


You Might Also Like

0 comments