The Shadow of the Wind #1 Review

Name : The Shadow of the Wind Authors : Carlos Ruiz Zafon Series : The Cemetery of Forgotten Books #1 Genre : Historical Fiction, ...


Name: The Shadow of the Wind
Authors: Carlos Ruiz Zafon
Series: The Cemetery of Forgotten Books #1
Genre: Historical Fiction, Mystery
Paperback edition
Goodreads | Buy

Barcelona, 1945: A city slowly heals in the aftermath of the Spanish Civil War, and Daniel, an antiquarian book dealer’s son who mourns the loss of his mother, finds solace in a mysterious book entitled The Shadow of the Wind, by one Julián Carax. But when he sets out to find the author’s other works, he makes a shocking discovery: someone has been systematically destroying every copy of every book Carax has written. In fact, Daniel may have the last of Carax’s books in existence. Soon Daniel’s seemingly innocent quest opens a door into one of Barcelona’s darkest secrets--an epic story of murder, madness, and doomed love.
_________________________________________________________________________

While I fully acknowledge the beauty and brilliance of this book, I think I must have read it at the wrong time in my life. It took me so many months to finish it and I believe this must be one of the reasons why I haven't enjoyed it thoroughly. Whenever I resumed reading it, I kept forgetting what happened last, since so much time has passed. This is also the kind of book that requires focus and good memory.

I lack both.



After the first 100 pages or so, I started slowly losing interest in the plot and the only character I enjoyed reading about wasn't even that much in the book. Lucky me.

I do believe this is the kind of book that is a gem to many readers and I can see why. It just wasn't for me.


Favorite Quotes

“Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.”

“People tend to complicate their own lives, as if living weren't already complicated enough.”

“Memories are worse than bullets.”

“Paris is the only city in the world where starving to death is still considered an art.”  

Rating


Characters: 3/5 

I didn't feel any real connection to them.

Romance: 3/5

It seemed a bit forced.

Pacing/Length: 2/5


Cover: 5/5

I adore it and it fits the book perfectly.

Plot: 5/5

Even though I feel like this book hasn't reached it's full potential, I like the premise a lot.


What did you think of it? :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments